Films From My Childhood

There are certain films everyone knows from their childhood - the Disney classics, iconic Christmas specials, etc. But at the same time, everyone has those specific titles that are close to their hearts and shaped them into who they are today. Theses are some thoughts I wanted to share, including my 10 all time favourite childhood films and how they made me into me.

1. Alice In Wonderland - and not the new version. I'm referring to the old cartoon Disney version in which no one is completely sure what's happening and the whole thing feels like an acid trip. Still, when I was a child the plot seemed completely solid and I loved to lose myself in the bright colours, over the top London accents and magic. While I can't say this film taught me a great many moral lessons, I learnt never to jump down a rabbit hole, eat strange food or trust strange talking animals, and it was a beautiful stimulus for an imagination I would find I only wanted to develop.


2. Lilo and Stitch - to this day, I love digging through my old VHS tapes and pressing play. Lilo's character reminded me of myself, and all I ever wanted was a companion like Stitch. As someone who has only ever cried in two films, it was a shock when I found myself sobbing during the sequel - even now, though I've seen it hundreds of times.


3. Grave of the Fireflies - as I said, I've only cried in two films, and this is the second. It's a Studio Gibli film, something I've only ever seen once as I am too scared to watch it again and suffer the inevitable stream of tears. However, I learnt from this film never to take anything for granted, and safety is key; it was then that I first made the decision that I would always choose to die in place of my sister. Perhaps one day I'll gain the courage to see it again, but that day won't come any time soon.


4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - It's typical. Everyone's seen at least one Harry Potter, but I can quote every line of this. When I was younger, we lost all our VHS tapes at my grandma's house and this was the only one remaining; every weekend, my cousins and I would build a fort and lay in the dark becoming consumed by the magical world we wished we lived in, giggling at the terrible quality video and imitating the actors' words before they could even say them. To me, it's a classic. To me, it's true magic.



5. Home Alone - It may come as a surprise that for a long, long time, this was the only Christmas film I had ever seen. And I didn't know it was a Christmas film (despite the obvious theme and signals) until last year. For me, I regarded this as another hilarious family movie that survived the VHS disappearance, and I continue to watch it at all times of the year except Christmas.


6. Spirited Away - much like Alice In Wonderland, I don't have a clue what happens in this and it feels like I'm on an acid trip. I imagine it as what would happen if you combined Narnia, My Neighbour Totoro, and the scene from Dumbo when they get drunk and wildly hallucinate.


7. Lord of the Rings - I haven't ever seen this all the way through. I haven't read the books, I don't even like the film. But ever since I was little, it's been on almost every weekend, it provided Saturday night television for me and my whole extended family. Every weekend, everyone visited my grandma and as we ate, we would put it on as background noise, and I would occasionally glance up to see some sort of danger facing me - none of which I was interested in, of course.


8. Spy Kids - I think I was about ten when I first found the films, and immediately I was encapsulated. It was always a challenge to find a way to watch them; they were never in the library, my dad's piracy days were over so I couldn't get them burnt onto a CD, this was before Netflix was really a thing, so the rarity made it even more exciting.


9. The Lion King - it was never my favourite Disney film, but in the days of babysitting my little cousin I had to watch this every day. There came a point where I genuinely teared up at the opening of Circle of Life, shivering in disgust and anticipation, but now I can flash a nostalgic smile at the memories flooding back to me.


10. Pocahontas - she's everything I ever wanted to be. She's like an earlier version of Moana, with her love of nature that so closely mimics the curious beast in my heart as a child. She was also the first coloured character I saw and could empathise with, which obviously means I hold her close to my heart.


Of course, there are countless films I haven't listed here (including Jurassic Park and Aladdin) but these were the first to flash across my mind when I thought 'special and nostalgic'. Feel free to reply with your own favourite childhood films and how they made you you!

Satin Ink

Comments